Monday 13 March 2017

How to motivate yourself when you're out of practice


It can sometimes be frustrating when you fall out of a regular routine of creativity. Sometimes because you feel there's no time left in the day to fit things in, or perhaps you're out of practice and when you do get a chance to sit down and create - what you come up with seems terrible. And that just adds to the torment.

We've all experienced some kind of writer's or artist's block, and we all know the feeling. It's like a downward spiral that we just want to end, and we find ourselves wondering how we ever created things in the past.

Lately I've been focused on an animation project, as well as a redesign of my website, but because I also now spend a lot of my free time studying Japanese, I haven't been finding time for some of the other things that I want to do. So one morning I wrote this note to myself.

I had nothing specific in mind, and just the goal to keep the flame burning. It didn't matter if it was a pile of garbage as long as I spent just 10 minutes at the end of the day doing these few things.

Well...not only did this quick reminder get me creating again, but I feel a little more inspired to draw and seek out new inspirations. Plus, I now have two stories on the go that I have been meaning to get out of my head for a while now.  This note isn't going to work for very long, but I think a part of the fun is in that method of discovering new ways to motivate yourself.